Summary of Duties
PIHOA is seeking a qualified and experienced microbiologist/laboratory technologist, with fundamental knowledge work experience in laboratory testing. Have familiarity with moderately complex microbiology testing methods. This position will be located in the U.S. Territory of Guam, Guam Department of Public Health and Social Services Laboratory.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform moderately complexity testing as assigned as well as standard EIA, MAC ELISA, PCR testing and similar laboratory tests on various specimens.
- Familiar and experience with the following equipment and testing tools; Cepheid GeneXpert, Applied Biosystem ABI 7500, Biotek Microplate reader and washer, BioFire Film Array, Vitek-2 compact system, microcentrifuge/centrifuge, biosafety cabinet/fume hoods, rotators/incubators, pipettes, microwell washer, autoclave/sterilizer, dry/water baths, microscope, IEC Centra-W cell washer, refrigerated centrifuge, Ziel Neilsen AFB stain and phlebotomy equipment (needles, adaptor).
- Implement quality control, preventive maintenance on all test reagents, instruments and equipment used in Molecular Microbiology, Bacteriology and/or Mycobacteriology department.
- Render special blood and spinal fluid microbiological analysis and other required studies. Perform Molecular diagnostic testing. Manually record all patient information in Microbiology test worksheets.
- Assist in guiding other laboratory staff in the use of equipment and performance of microbiology analysis. Provide support in all duties of the alternate technologist assign in PCR/Bioterrorism (BT) laboratory in the absence of the primary staff assigned to this department or during busy periods.
- Make assessments of body fluids and exudates. Performs other microbiological examinations and analyzes/interprets data pertaining to microbiological studies. Participates in laboratory research.
- Assist in setting up laboratory equipment/experiments, maintains workspace, perform minor maintenance work equipment and Perform proficiency testing in the department assigned and submit results to the medical director for review and submission.
- Perform an inventory of supplies in the department assigned, prepare supply orders, receives supply orders and follow-up with vendors.
- Conduct testing for Hansen’s disease, Gram stain, culture and sensitivity, AFB smear and culture, Neisseria, Salmonella, Shigella, Vibrio, Chlamydia/GC. GC culture, Influenza, Dengue, Leptospira, and other testing.
- Discard used patient specimens, supplies and other biohazard wastes following laboratory safety protocol, autoclave and dispose of autoclaved wastes. Disinfect, clean and organize work area.
- Perform additional related duties as assigned, not limited to providing back-up work in other laboratory departments as needed, practices Biosafety in handling and IATA certified shipping of infectious agent specimens to CDC.
APPLICATION: Submit the following electronically with attention to Emi Chutaro ( firstname.lastname@example.org
), Executive Director, and Regie Tolentino, Office Administrator ( email@example.com
), no later than 5pm, April 17, 2020, Hawaii Standard Time:
- Letter of Interest that outlines your overall qualifications and professional experience in response to the Primary Qualifications listed above;
- Resume; and
- Minimum of three (3) professional references – these references must be from current and past employment supervisors based on the last 8-10 years of employment.
For any enquiries related to this vacancy, please direct them to Janet Camacho at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pacific Island Health Officers Association, 737 Bishop Street, Suite 2075, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813. Office Telephone: 808.537.3131. Office Fax: 808.537.6868. Website: www.pihoa.org